So you’re doing your first book-signing.
A handy list of things to put in the back of your car from our friends the Romance Writers (add or subtract according to your situation and preferences):
- Candies* and dish
- Props (e.g. if you have a nautical adventure, a model ship)
- Scissors and tape (blue tape, duct tape, and cellophane tape.)
- Pens — book-signing and other. Make sure one is a Sharpie.
- Mailing list
- Book cover stickers
- Business cards
- Water/water bottle with screw-on cap
- Change for parking meters
- A brief biography for the person who will be introducing you
- Emergency personal supplies/first aid kit
- Book marks
- Loudspeaker announcements
- Book stands
- Blank card stock and marker
- Presentation materials (projector, easel chart, etc.)
- Lightweight table
- Lightweight folding chair
- Thank-you gift for store employee(s)
One month prior: Send out your own press releases, including cover flats.
Know the answers to the most frequently-asked questions: “Where are the bathrooms?” (“Right over there”) and “How much did you pay to get published?” (“Nothing. I don’t pay publishers; publishers pay me.”)
* Candies are individually wrapped; e.g Hershey Kisses, Andes Mints, Starbursts, etc.